We’re on vacation in a far far away land….actually, not that far but a vacation nonetheless. Here’s a fun activity today if you’re in town. The Artesia library is hosting a Balloon Arts Workshop with Mr. Twister. The event starts at 2:00 p.m. and everyone is welcome.
18722 S. Clarkdale Ave.
Artesia, CA 90701
We just returned from our local library with our rewards for completing the summer reading program. What a great way to get your kids excited about reading! As part of these reading programs, several libraries nearby are hosting some really cool events tomorrow, Wednesday, July 25.
- 1:30 pm: The Princess and the Pirate Marionette show at the La Palma community center, Royal Palm room.
- 2:00 pm: Exotic Animal Show at the Norwalk library.
- 3:00 pm: Sandy Lynn’s Musical Barnyard Extravaganza & Petting Zoo at the Iacoboni Library in Lakewood.
All of the events are FREE and open to everyone. Have fun!
Animals, trains, battles and rockets are just some of the activities available this weekend.
- On Friday, July 20, the Lakewood Nye library is hosting the Wild Wonders Animal show at 4 pm. This event is free for everyone. Lakewood Library is located at 6600 Del Amo Blvd., Lakewood, CA.
- On Saturday, July 21, the Columbia Memorial space center is hosting “Rocket Fever”. You can learn how they work, make your own and even watch a rocket launch contest. Regular admission is $5.
- Over the weekend, El Dorado Park is hosting a two day Civil War Reenactment. You can see battles with combatants wearing period costumes and attend various demonstrations at this festival. Admission is $14 for adults, $7 for children 11-5, 4 and under are free.
- Goat Hill Junction will be open for FREE train rides on Saturday and Sunday. They are located in Costa Mesa and offer kids of all ages train rides around a scenic park. The kids always have a blast. OCME is located at 2500 Placentia Ave., Costa Mesa, CA 92626.
Oodles is offering a summer camp deal again if you missed it the first time. The offer is through Living Social: $47 for one week of half-day camp or $77 for full-day at Oodles USA. Oodles is located on Carmenita near Artesia. The deal is available for purchase for 5 more days.
Here’s the linky: OOdles
17420 Carmenita Road
Cerritos, CA 90703
The circus is coming to town! The circus is coming to town! Even though I often feel like the ringleader in my own little circus, it’ll be fun to watch someone else tame the wild beasts. Ringling Bros. is in Southern California and I wanted to share this coupon I had for $15 tickets. It is only valid for select shows and “Lower Level Plaza” seats. Have fun!
The ABC Adult School offers a parent education program, which is essentially a mommy-n-me preschool program. I love this program not only because it develops our toddlers’ socialization skills but it also allows parents an opportunity to meet other parents with children of the same age. The classes are broken up by age and held at different campuses throughout the district. For the youngest group, this class is very similar to Gymboree play and music classes. The pricing varies by class but it is so reasonable for the experience you & your child will be receiving. For more information, here is a link to the website: ABC Adult School.
If you’re interested in enrolling in this program, fall registration online begins on July 20, 2012 at 8:00 a.m. or you can enroll in person at the Cabrillo Lanes campus starting August 28 at 8:00 a.m. Spaces fill up fast so don’t wait!
Tomorrow at the Artesia city library will be a “Mad Science” show for kids at 2:00 pm.
Also, a reminder to check out the Origami exhibit at the Japanese American National Museum before it’s gone and while it’s free this Saturday. Win win!
Here’s the original post:
Here are some things I learned on this little outing with the kids.
- Don’t take a two year old who hasn’t napped.
- DEFINITELY check out the origami exhibit!! It is small but very impressive. Exhibit is running until August.
- For those of you who want to drive, there is parking across the street for $6.50
- JANM has a special offer: GO METRO & SAVE: Take the Metro and get $2 off any adult admission and a 10% discount at Chado Tea Room.
- Upcoming FREE days are April 14: Monster Mash!, May 12: Celebrate Asian Pacific Heritage , July 14: Faces + Places
- Lastly, if Daikokuya is jammed, check out Shin Sen Gumi on Central Ave, next to Yogurtland. It’s so delicious!!
Hmmm…I often find myself pondering this, especially when my kids are chasing each other around the house screaming at the top of their lungs. Aha! Let’s see what FREE events Target is sponsoring this weekend. It’s Target Free Family Saturday at the Japanese American National Museum in Little Tokyo! Yay!! The theme for tomorrow is origami (paper folding) and it looks like they will have some really fun craft activities throughout the day. Before you get to the museum, walk over to Daikokuya and put your name on the list for some delicious ramen and by the time you leave the museum, they may have a table for you! Parking can be a pain as well as expensive around Little Tokyo so for some added fun, consider taking the Gold Line (or the King Taco line as we like to call it) to the Little Tokyo station. It will drop you off right across the street from the museum. Most of the stations have free parking.
Have a nice weekend!!
Wow….this event totally snuck up on me this year. The OC Fair opens this weekend and for their opening day, they are offering free parking and free admission from noon to 1 p.m. It will be here for a month from July 13-August 12 and they are open from Wednesday thru Sunday. We went last year and it can definitely get quite expensive after all the rides and all the food so here is a link to some of the promotions they are offering. The fair is held at the OC Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa. If you haven’t been there before, please know that it can be an all day affair because there is so much to do and see. Please visit their website for all the details as they do a much better job of describing everything they have to offer. Have fun!
88 Fair Drive
Costa Mesa, California 92626.
With summer in full swing, I just wanted to repost this in case you’re looking for something to do:
It’s Tuesday so that means that it’s Cheap Date Tuesday (I know it’s not quite as catchy as Taco Tuesday). Regal Movie Theaters, which is UA and Edwards, has their Value Day, which means that all shows are $6. Regency Norwalk 8 shows are $2 instead of the usual $2.75. Starplex Cinemas in La Mirada has all their shows for only $1!! They even have $1 hot dogs. If you’re not in the mood for hot dogs, go next door to Cabo Taco Baja Grill. They offer a $2 Taco Tuesday and score 4 stars on Yelp. My friends highly recommend their tacos. Even if you don’t eat there, Taco Tuesday specials abound…Rubio’s, California Fish Grill, Hiwa Fusion, El Torito….mmm just thinking about it is making me hungry. Marie Callender’s also has a “Kids Eat Free” promotion running on Tuesday. Promotion requires the purchase of an adult entree in order to receive the free kids’ meal. But hey…at least you don’t have to cook!
Also, keep in mind that at 10 a.m., Regal Theaters are also showing $1 kid friendly movies and at 2 p.m., the Cerritos library is also showing a free movie. At 10:30, the library is also hosting an easy craft for children ages 2-12.
Have you heard about NexGen? No, it’s not a scientific breakthrough designed to reverse the aging process and remove all signs of childbirth. Although I wish it was because it’s free! NexGen LACMA is the nation’s only free youth membership program! NexGen offers free general admission to anyone 17 and under as well as one accompanying adult. This includes permanent collection galleries and selected special exhibitions. To join, visit the LACMA box office or print the enrollment form and mail it in. If you would like to learn more about this program, click here.
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
5905 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90036